Sonoran Spine participates in the spine surgery fellowship match, offering the opportunity for tertiary spinal deformity, spinal reconstructive and degenerative surgery. The fellows will function as an integral part of the spine surgery team with responsibilities for work up, decision making, participation in surgery, follow up care after surgery, and spinal research.
The clinical fellow will have the opportunity to have a heavily weighted experience in adult and pediatric deformity with extensive exposure to reconstructive surgery for deformity. A great deal of time will be spent learning the latest techniques in the care and treatment of patients with spinal deformity under the close supervision and mentorship of Drs. Michael Chang and Dennis Crandall.
There is equal opportunity for exposure to a wider spectrum of clinical cases involving some deformity and more exposure to degenerative cases. The fellow will manage patients with all types of degenerative conditions, tumors, infection, trauma and congenital problems affecting all levels of the spine. The fellow will receive the same excellent training using both open and minimally invasive techniques to manage the patient population under all our surgeons including Drs. Jason Datta, Terrence Crowder and Lyle Young.
- 1 – 2 per year, August 1 - July 31
- 12 month fellowship
- Orthopedic and Neurosurgeons can apply (completed residency, able to obtain Arizona license)
- Unique expertise and emphasis on adult spinal deformity (extensive exposure to operative care for degenerative disease, pediatric deformity, minimally invasive techniques, spinal osteotomies, cervical reconstruction, some exposure to total disc replacement in cervical and lumbar, less exposure to tumor and level-one trauma)
- Occiput to sacral experience; anterior/posterior/lateral approaches
- Heavy operative experience with 5 fellowship-trained spinal surgeons (SS does 1,200 - 1,300 surgical cases per year)
- Pre and post-op patient evaluation, decision making, creative thinking emphasized
- Opportunity to learn to do selective nerve root blocks and other pain injection techniques if desired (SS Physiatrist, K. Mosallaie)
- Clinical research
- Participate in San Francisco Fellowship Match (SF Match)
Spine Research Fellowships
- 3 month fellowship (option to extend to additional 3 months if desired)
- Orthopedic and Neurosurgeons can apply (completed residency)
- Must be fluent in writing and speaking English
- Observe in OR (unscrubbed)
- Participate in clinical research as principal investigator or as a contributing co-author